Engaging Pacific Youth
in Their Communities
Discover how to engage and motivate and support young people within their communities.
Note: If you already have an account with USP Global, please log in first and then enrol for the course. To log in, please click here.
2 - 4 Hours / Week
9 November 2020
Certificate of Participation
Certificate of Achievement
Learn How to Spark and Support
Engaging Pacific Youth in Their Communities is the first module of a series of courses on Professionalising Youth Work in the Pacific. This module is essential learning for those who wish to support youth in taking meaningful action in their communities. This module includes aspects of motivating young people, encouraging youth to become advocates, and supporting the development of action plans for change.
This module is structured on a relatable scenario and centres on a project to be completed through five module topics. Throughout the module, learners will have access to videos, texts, discussions with peers and the facilitator, and periodic live chat sessions.
- Topic 1: How to engage with Pacific Youth in their Communities
- Topic 2: Basic Planning & Scoping Skills
- Topic 3: Active Communication, Advocacy and Mobilisation
- Topic 4: Fundraising and Volunteerism
- Topic 5: Measuring success & Report Writing
- Topic 6: Module Review
- Define advocacy and its applications;
- Recognise the impact of advocacy on local communities;
- Describe ways to motivate youth through advocacy efforts;
- Outline different types of effective fundraising techniques;
- Measure the success of advocacy campaigns; and
- Communicate results of advocacy planning.
This course is for
The course is aimed at anyone working with youths and young people. It is also suited to young people within the community looking to improve their youth advocacy skills.
Meet your Facilitator
Mr Broderick Mervyn represents Ignite4Change, a community-based organisation focused on empowering, engaging and enlighterning youths in the pacific region. Broderick is a Pacific youth and community practitioner with over 10 years of experience in the field of youth and community engagement and development in Fiji and the Pacific.
Upcoming Modules in 2021
Professionalising Youth Work in the Pacific is a six-part module series designed for learners who work or plan to work with youth. The modules were originally developed by a group of thirty youth workers from seven Pacific Island nations. These modules will provide the learner with a broad-based set of skills and knowledge for youth work.
1. The Climate Crisis and its Impact on Youth
2. Youth, Rights, Civic Engagement and Political Participation
3. Health & Well-being: Issues for Youth
4. Youth Entrepreneurship
5. Good Governance in Youth Organisations